Monday, October 7, 2013

Short Term Missions


Today we had the opportunity to host some of my favorite kind of people.

Missionaries.

What makes a person a missionary?

A missionary is someone sent by Jesus Christ just as He was sent by God. The great controlling factor is not the needs of people, but the command of Jesus. The source of our inspiration in our service for God is behind us, not ahead of us. The tendency today is to put the inspiration out in front— to sweep everything together in front of us and make it conform to our definition of success. But in the New Testament the inspiration is put behind us, and is the Lord Jesus Himself. The goal is to be true to Him— to carry out His plans. -Chambers

David and Mary Armstrong have known my parents since college. So I've been praying for them as missionaries since I was a little girl. I remember thinking that missionaries were always people who lived far out in the bush and reached new people groups (like the Wycliffe Bible Translators in the book Seed Sowers... must read!). David and Mary did that kind of work too. I remember them being in the mountains of Guatemala. In fact, just today, Mrs. Armstrong was sitting at my table telling my sweet young Wyatt stories about that time, and the adventures they had there.

Now they have a new adventure. As co-founder and executive director of MDAT: Mission Data International, David Armstrong is now equipping believers to carry out the plans of Christ, by helping them find the perfect missions opportunities.

Our vision is that every believer desiring growth in mission involvement would obtain the practical assistance necessary to realize significant, life long involvement in the Great Commission.
The work they do is SO very important. By connecting others with missions opportunities, they are opening doors to lives being changed. Not just the lives of those who are served, but especially of those who GO. I shared with them how life changing my high school missions trip was for me, all those years ago.

to be continued...


©2012-2013 Loving and Learning on the High Plains. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://www.homeschoolhighplains.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always wonder if my words are encouraging to you, so please leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...